Monday, January 26, 2009

The Big Day

Well, I knew my day was going to start early today.

Update 1: The hospital called at 6am to informed me that Dr. Lane was putting on his scrubs and they would be taking Frankie into have his MRI done. They will call me when this is completed - this will allow them to know if/where surgery is needed. Im so nervous and sad today, but doing my best. Work will be rough. I am closing my door today.

Update 2: Heard back. He needs surgery, they are "clipping" him and getting into surgery. They said that I should hear back by 8am. He said that his prognosis is great and he has no reason to believe anything catastrophic will occur. He said the MRI showed that it is a ruptured disk, what they call a T13-L1. He said this is the most common rupture area that they see on dachshunds. Hopefully this means it is somewhat routine. I am a crying mess. Will update later.

Update 3: Frankie made it through surgery without any complications. Dr. Lane said that he thinks Frankie will make an excellent recovery. They will call me later when he is awake in his kennel. I will update then. Off to work.

Update 4: I got a call from the tech and she said that Frankie woke up from being under and that he was resting under some blankets that were heated. I told her that was the key with him as he loves being warm and under the covers. She said she was concerned about him recovering just because he has been so jumpy and hasn't adjusted well to his new temporary environment (with all the barking and crying), but that he was doing well. She said I could come see him tomorrow. I will be so excited to see him. I miss him so much.

Update 5: I just called to speak with an assistant. They said that he is still sleepy and has slept through the majority of the day. Said that they will try to feed him between 8 at 12 this evening but that he more than likely wont be interested in eating, at lest for a day or two. But, my boy likes to eat, so we will see. I miss him a lot tonight. I wish I could go visit but understand that he needs his rest. I am going to see him tomorrow after class - I get out at 645 and visitation is only until 730, but hopefully I will get in a decent visit. I am sure I will have to leave the door closed as he won't be able to get up and walk around. Hopefully he potties sooner than later, that will mean a faster arrival home. Keep thinking good thoughts. I hope he gets a great night sleep tonight, from the sounds of it, it will be his first since staying at the hospital.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Franks, this is "Gamma" Just wanted to write a note and say "Gamma and Gampa" love you and want to "Good Luck" on your MRI and surgery. You be a good puppy and do everything that the doctors and nurses tell you and you will be home with "Mommy" and "Daddy" before you know it. "Gamma" will talk to you on the phone when you get home. Charlie, your "Cousin" says hurry up and get well so that you can referee when he and Sammie are playing. Luv ya Franks. "Gamma" xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Frankie, it is "Gamma" again. So glad the surgery is over and you are doing well. Stay quiet and under the covers so that you get better so that you can go home with "Mommy and Daddy" Love you. "Gamma"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Franks, it's "Gamma" Hope that your first nite after surgery went well and you are enjoying the warm blankets. Stay strong and you will be home with "Mommie" and "Daddy" in a couple of days. "Mommie" will be there to visit you after school tonight. I bet you will be glad to see her. Be sure you eat and drink today, and don't forget to pee and poop!! :) "Gamma" loves you and will talk to you soon on the phone. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete